Wednesday, August 4, 2010

W. O. R. D... up!


I'm convinced that songwriters nowadays try to outdo one another with the song lyrics they are writing. Everything seems so contrived and "artsy" instead of just fun and upbeat. Case in point:
__________________________________________________

Matt Nathanson - Come on Get Higher...

I miss the sound of your voice
I miss the rush of your skin
I miss the still of the silence
as you breathe out
and I breath in

If I could walk on water
If I could tell you what's next
Make you believe, make you forget

Come on get higher
Loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard and drown me in love
___________________________________________________


Now let me add my disclaimer here - I actually really LOVE this song. But what in the hell is this guy really singing about? Yeah, that's poetic. Whoopdee do. I want to sing fun stuff!! Like the Humpty Dance! I mean, there was some creativity with that song, but it was fun to sing. I mean, His name was Humpty, pronounced with an umpty, he liked to rhyme, he liked the beats funky, he was spunky, he liked his oatmeal lumpy. FUN!

Today I heard the Word Up song by Cameo and it reminded me of being a kid and actually being able to sing along with the words of the music I heard on the radio. I don't even like to listen to the radio with my kids in the car anymore because frankly, I'm worried about the stuff they are going to hear. But not with the Word Up. It's the code word - no matter where you say it, you know that you'll be heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment