Thursday, May 12, 2011

La la laaaaaa... is this thing on??

A few days ago my husband told me that he never hears me sing anymore.  I thought he was crazy for saying that until I realized... he was... actually ....right!?  I never sing anymore - like EVER.  At least not out loud.  I've spent the last 6 years of my life as a slave to my children in the car, being told not to sing along with the music or to put it on whatever song they wanted to hear.  I never get to sing in the shower anymore because belting it out at 6am will probably wake up the kids.  I haven't even been to karaoke to sing for strangers in at least a year.  I mean, what the heck is wrong with me?  singing = me  

As I came to this realization over the last three days I decided to try something.  I was going to sing again.  ALL DAY LONG.  It started on the ride to take the boys to school - I turned on the radio to what I wanted to hear.  I sang along and didn't care that my oldest protested.  I told him to hush and enjoy the fact that his mom actually has a decent voice.

Then I tried it again while I was cleaning the house on Monday morning.  I had my ipod on while I was cleaning the kitchen, so I shamelessly sang along.  I can't even tell you how much it improved my mood!

Last night I sang to Tyler while I was putting him to sleep.  I think he actually recognized the songs I sang... I don't know how long it's been since I've sang to him at night.  It used to be an every night thing.

Then I tried it again this morning.  I had already dropped off the kids and I hopped in the shower before getting my sales calls going today.  And I belted. It. Out.  Oh boy did I sing - as loud and as proud as I could.  Kelly Clarkson, Jessica Simpson, a little Whitney Houston just to prove I could still hit the notes.  DAMN I've missed that. 

Is that all it took to actually feel like myself again?  Whatever it is, I plan on never losing that voice again.  Now, anyone want to meet me for karaoke soon?

1 comment: