Monday, April 22, 2013

Ten is Perfect

Ten is perfect was the catchphrase for the TarHeel 10 miler that was going on in Chapel Hill this weekend.  Being that this was a race all through Chapel Hill, I signed up for the wussy version - the 4 miler.

I got up at the crack of dawn to drive myself to Blue Heaven to be ready for a 7am start.  The sun wasn't even up yet when I got there!  Oh and it was FREEZING cold.  Why is it always freezing when I run these things??


I lined up with the other 4,000 people who decided to participate in this, and I was reflecting back on what this race supported - the UNC Lineberger Cancer Center.  What a great way to give back!

The race started at the Bell Tower on campus and wound it's way through back roads and neighborhoods.  It was a beautiful route, but I was disappointed we didn't actually run around campus more, or even down Franklin Street.


At least there was encouragement everywhere you looked!


The race was fairly painless for most of the way, until I hit the 3 mile marker.  The race coordinators thought racing the 3rd mile up Laurel Hill Drive would be a great idea.  For anyone that doesn't know Laurel Hill Drive in Chapel Hill, it's the steepest incline I've ever seen.  It actually reminded me of San Francisco!  There was a Laurel Hill Challenge worked into the race, where the person who got up the hill fastest won a crazy prize.  Let's just say I didn't win.  :)

The finish line for this event was in Kenan Stadium and there were tons of people cheering as I crossed the finish line!  It was very cool!  Imagine my surprise when I looked down and realized that the race route was not an even 4 milers, but rather 4.29 miles!



I was so proud of myself that I finished this race.  I honestly felt like I could have run 5 miles!  That's the next goal!

The best part of finishing this race was the awesome medal I got this time.  Check it out!


1 comment: