Monday, September 12, 2011

Sorry if this is a day late

It's hard to believe 10 years have gone by already.  It seems like just yesterday I was sitting at my desk when my brother called and told me to turn on the TV.  "You're not going to believe this - we're under attack," were his words.  We both couldn't believe our eyes as we watched the second plane crash into the North tower of the World Trade Center.  I have never felt fear like that before.  I remember my father was working out of the country in Abu Dhabi and when I called to tell him the news, sobbing at what I was watching on TV and scared for his safety he told me, "I'm clearly in a safer place than you are right now."

It's hard to imagine what the world was even like before 9/11.  Our economy was booming.  There was no such thing as an "unemployment problem" in America.  There was a housing boom.  You could say goodbye to loved ones getting on a plane AT the gate.  There was no fear of being attacked.  There was no hatred of Muslims.  The world has changed considerably since then.

I tried to explain to my 6 year old yesterday why Mommy was crying when they showed all of the pictures of what happened.  What was making me sad.  Why it was such a tragedy.  It's difficult for a child to understand what terror is.  It's even more difficult to explain WHY someone would do something so horrible. 

It was ten years ago but it still feels just like yesterday...

No comments:

Post a Comment