Friday, February 7, 2014

Farewell Arnold's!

I have the best friends in the whole world.  My buddy, BP Cox, was thoughtful enough to bring me a cheeseburger "all the way" from Arnold's in Richlands last night!  I knew I wouldn't be able to get home before Saturday (if at all) and he grabbed me one and brought it back to Raleigh for me.  Thank you BP.  I love you, babe!! 

I know this doesn't seem like that big of a deal to most people, but Arnold's was a piece of "home" for me.  I don't get to go home much because my family doesn't live there anymore, but this was always a constant, a comfort.  Arnold's was where I had my first real job.  It was where we went after basketball and football games.  It was where I grabbed breakfast in the mornings when I wanted a country ham biscuit.  It was where I stopped every single time I went through town so that I could get a butterscotch milkshake.  It was a part of my young adulthood that is sadly ending and moving on.

And it was still as familiar and as tasty as I remember.



1 comment:

  1. My favorite will always be the sausage dog with onions and mustard. I don't have really great memories but the one that sticks with me the most is when I drove the 1996 Homecoming Queen there and left. I never went in that night but I knew that memory would always be the greatest of my trips to Arnolds. Who would have thought that a kid like me, not popular or the one who was invited to parties, would drive the HCQ after the game to Arnolds? I sure didn't. I never even had a real girlfriend (one girl doesn't count because she was a people-user) at RHS...so that was the greatest moment of my social life at the time. I think her fiance was training in the Air Force at the time, so it wasn't like I could ask that it be a date that night. I respected him and her, but that moment....the greatest of all at RHS. I shit you not. JWA

    ReplyDelete