Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!


"Independence Day, commonly known as the 4th of July, is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain."  (Wikipedia)

I have thought a lot lately about what it means to be an American.  I am a very proud American, the daughter of a Naval Submariner, married to a government employee who was also raised a military brat, his father serving in the Air Force.  It makes me sad to think about the acts of patriotism I witness just 10 short years ago in the wake of 9/11, and know that the feeling isn't there anymore. 

People are complacent.  Sure, they hem and haw about the President and what's going on in Congress, but do they really understand how amazing it is to be an American?  Do they realize why families would leave everything behind to come here and start a new life?

I was fortunate to have been born here and raised here.  I've never wanted to become a citizen of another country.  And I don't take what I have for granted.  EVER.  I may not agree with the continuing "war".  I may not agree with the legislation being passed and the politics being played and the impending joke we call a presidential election.  But I will always be proud of where I'm from and where I CHOOSE to continue to raise my family.  I will always respect those in the military.  I will always stand up for what I believe in.  I will speak my mind when I see things I don't agree with.  Many people fought and died to give me those rights. 

And on that note, my lyrics of the day:

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the U.S.A.

-Lee Greenwood, "GOD Bless the U.S.A"


No comments:

Post a Comment