Thursday, July 5, 2012

In reference to my previous post

How is it that music can MOVE us like it can?  I have a playlist that I listen to when I'm studying and I have found that am I almost in tears when I hear some of the songs on this list.  I know that sounds ridiculous to people who aren't musically inclined. Music was such a big part of my young adulthood.

I started playing the flute when I was 9 years old.  At the time, I signed up because I had just moved to California and I thought it would be a good way to meet new friends.  Those special ties were made year after year, in place after place.  In elementary school, middle school, high school, college.  I honestly think part of the reason I have such strong ties to Carolina is because of being involved in the Marching Tar Heels and knowing the music and words to all the fight songs.

But this feeling I'm referring to right now... it's different.  For example, I was listening to the music from the Balcony Scene in Romeo+Juliet.  It's like I could picture the exact scene in the movie.  I could FEEL what they were feeling in that moment in the movie.  It's such a deeper level than just hearing a song on the radio.  I don't know how to describe it.

Yeah, I know it sounds bizarre.  I can't be the only one who has this reaction to music.

Or maybe I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment