Saturday, July 10, 2010

i hate feeling broke...

I'm so glad I'm working again. I don't do very well with delayed gratification although I have learned how to live within my means over the last year or so. But still - I want to be able to buy things for my children whether they need it or want. I want to have nice things and do fun things with my family. I've never been one to be materialistic - in fact, I despise people that only care about what kind of car you drive or what label is on your clothes. I mean please, there are much more important things in life. But I truly don't want my children to grow up feeling like mom can't give them what they need. Its frustrating!

Regardless, I am very thankful to be working. I have a friend who has been unemployed since December of 2007. Yes, almost 3 YEARS. I couldn't even fathom being that down and out for that long. I'm enjoying my new job and really trying to understand what it takes to run a company from the ground up. I hope this gamble pays off too!

But back to my point - being broke sucks! Here are my vows that came from this situation:
1. I will pay myself first. No exceptions. My emergency fund will be monstrous!
2. I will contribute the maximum allowed to my 401k
3. I will contribute $100 or more a month to each child's college fund
4. I will not spend money on stupid things - like eating out all the time. My bank account and my waistline will thank me.
5. I will invest in important things - like spending time with my husband and kids.
6. I will pay it forward whenever possible.
7. I will not be impulsive with my spending. If it can't wait a day or two, I probably didn't need it in the first place.
8. I will not buy junk just because its on sale.
9. I will pay every bill as soon as it comes in - no more falling through the cracks!
10. I will read this list every day. :)

July 30th can't get here fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment