Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Irrational fears?

I had an unusual conversation with a friend at the gym this morning that I thought was funny enough to share. We were talking about irrational fears - and just how irrational they actually were. The conversation started because we were discussing a Zumba class, and how dancing in front of all of those people was intimidating. (I didn't think so, but she certainly did.) This started us down the path of what we're afraid of and the list kept getting more and more bizarre as it went along. Our conversation was something like this:

me: Well everyone is afraid of critters - maybe spiders or bees or something. I'm afraid of all of them. Spiders of course. Bees - they are unusually attracted to me and somehow seem to love to divebomb me in the head.

her: What about rats? I'm afraid of rats. They have those huge tails and scary eyes. Ugh... I'm shuddering just thinking about them! Eww!

me: I'm terrified of lightning. I didn't used to be - I almost got hit by lightning back in high school and ever since then, I seem to be deathly afraid of it. If it's off in the distance, I can handle it, but I can't drive in bad storms. I have to pull over!

her: Yeah that's a good one. I hate singing in public. You couldn't pay me to do karaoke!

me: Wow, you don't know what you're missing! I'm afraid of champagne bottles - I'm always afraid I'm going to shoot my eye out opening one. I physically have to go in the other room when people open them! How dumb is that?

her: I think you have a problem with loud noises. Do you get startled alot?

me: Yes, all the time! The worst for me though are cans of biscuits.

her: Huh? Cans of biscuits?!? What the...??

me: Yeah, like crescent rolls or grands or whatever. I'm scared to death of them. I can't open them - when they pop open I scream. I think the anticipation of it popping open is almost worst. Like, if you take the wrapper off and nothing happens... and then you go to pick up the can and it explodes in your hand! Ahh!! That's the only reason I keep my husband around - to open the biscuits for me!

As you can imagine, this led to almost 10 solid minutes of laughter. I didn't realize my biscuit fear was that irrational until someone else learned about it. It makes me wonder what other people are afraid of... What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment