Sunday, July 4, 2010

Let Freedom Ring

I don't know what it is about good songwriting, but certain lyrics and music just totally gets me right in the heart.  Today I was driving home from my in-laws and it just happened to be July 4th, so the radio was playing patriotic music every now and then.  I managed to hear "God Bless the USA" and halfway through the song, I realized I was crying.  It's hard to describe - I have always felt that I was a patriotic person.  I grew up a military brat and my father served in Desert Storm and Vietnam.  But this song brings me back to 9/11 every time I hear it.  I remember looking all over town for American flags to put in my car and on my balcony of my apartment.  I remember people singing this song at karaoke for months and months after 9/11 happened.  Our country has been fighting a war I don't really understand for over 7 years now and it makes me sad that so many of my friends and their husbands can't be together on a day like today, to celebrate the freedom that is so precious, that so many of us take for granted in this country.  I am constantly disillusioned by some of the things that are happening in our legislature and the way my country is changing right before my eyes.  I feel powerless to do anything at times.  But for one moment today, I am thankful for how good I really have it. 

"and I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, cause there ain't no doubt I love this land, God Bless the USA..."

No comments:

Post a Comment