Thursday, May 10, 2012

The StartUp

"What's it like working for a Startup?"

This is a question I am asked CONSTANTLY.  So I thought I would write out a few of my observations from the last two years.  Some of them are amusing, some of them are shocking, but most of them are pretty amazing.

1.  Money is a scarce resource that will be spent on the most ridiculous things.  Like two offices in Georgetown - the most expensive rental district in all of Washington DC.

2.  There is no such thing as a company credit card.  At least not one that has been issued to me.

3.  I work with some of the most interesting individuals.  One is an avid biker - not as in Harley Davidson, but a bicycle.  We have a vegan.  A midwesterner.  An Alabama fan.  A 2 time graduate of P90x. An LA girl, who works WAY too hard.  One fresh out of college.  One who is pretty egotistical and has no reason to be.  Another is a working mom with two beautiful kids, like me.  Her boss happens to be her husband!   The other, a Star Wars fan with a death star tattoo.  Another is a transplant from India.  Oh wait, there are two of those.  A quiet one who has to work in an office full of guys. One guy has a major personality complex and thinks he's the best addition to our company yet...the jury's still out.  Another is awesome and I wish he lived closer and we could actually be in the same office every day, another is even awesomer (is that a word?) and I love commiserating with him when necessary.  The people make my job worthwhile.

4.  I am blessed with the opportunity to really understand how running a company works.  This is one of the reasons I wanted to work here the most - I have the ability to understand of every aspect of this company and impact it in one way or another.  I have the chance to make mistakes in a safe environment, and I'm working with some of the most amazing and intelligent people I've ever known in my entire career.   That chance doesn't come around very often.

5.  We have a product that will actually affect people's lives in a positive way.  Sure, the idea is to save money in the long run, but to empower people to get more involved in their health, THAT's my real motivation for being here.

6.  Some of the funniest things happen here.  I can't go into too much detail because that would ruin the plot to the TV pilot I'm writing about this company.  Yes I'm serious.  But I can assure you, it would make the Office look like sissy stuff.

I'll share more as I think of them.  But just know that the risk was worth the reward and I'm glad I stuck it out.  I hope this is the only employer I ever work for again.  I love it THAT much.


No comments:

Post a Comment