Friday, October 19, 2012

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...

I took a short detour before heading back to the airport yesterday to visit the Air Force Academy.  A friend had suggested going on campus to see the chapel there.  Wow.  Just WOW.  Thanks JMR for the suggestion - this place was BEAUTIFUL.

This picture is deceiving.  This place is several stories tall.  There's a Protestant chapel on top, and a Catholic church underneath it!  I kind of thought the building looked like airplanes - what do you think?

I took this picture looking straight up into the ceiling.  The way the sun was coming in through the windows made the whole place glow on the inside.  Those look like neon lights, but they are huge stained glass windows.

I stood here at the front of the church for probably a solid 10 minutes, just staring at this.  This place was amazing.

I took this video standing at about the middle of the chapel.  One thing to point out - how freaking ENORMOUS is that pipe organ?!  I can only imagine what this sounds like on a sunday.  Just whoa.  I was shocked at how eerily quiet it was in this place.  Yet if you were at the front of the chapel, you could hear talking in the back.  If you were standing in the middle, it was completely quiet.  Very weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment